CGOA Member Spotlight: Kristine Mullen

Friday, February 12, 2016

I'm Marie Segares from Underground Crafter and this is the second post in a monthly series for CGOA Now! where I shine a spotlight on a CGOA member and share a bit of her story with an interview.

In this month's post, I'm talking with Kristine Mullen from Ambassador Crochet. Kristine is a crochet designer and tech editor, and she can be found online on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Ravelry, and Twitter, as well as in her pattern shop.



All images are used with permission and are © Kristine Mullen/Ambassador Crochet.

Kristine Mullen.

Underground Crafter (UC): How did you first get started crocheting? 
Kristine Mullen (KM): My mother taught me to crochet when I was 5, but I didn't pick it up again until I was in my 20's and pregnant with my first daughter. 


Candy Cloud Burst Baby Afghan, crochet pattern by Kristine Mullen.

UC: When did you start designing? 
KM: I started designing in 2007. A friend of mine had a preemie (30 weeks gestation) and I wanted to make him a blanket. I couldn't find anything I liked so I decided to make my own. It was at that point I realized I loved designing my own patterns.


Hat for Hope, crochet pattern by Kristine Mullen.
UC: How long have you been a member of the CGOA? What’s your favorite thing about being a member? 
KM: I have been a member of the CGOA since 2013. My favorite part is the networking. I feel like everyone has been very willing to help, promote, and encourage each other because we're all in this together.


The Royal Bow Beanie, crochet pattern by Kristine Mullen.

UC: You're also a tech editor. Can you tell us what you do as a tech editor, and how you got started? 
KM: A tech editor checks a pattern for errors. It can be everything from math errors, to formatting or style issues. For me it all started when I was a tester for a designer. She started noticing that I was picking up on errors beyond what a tester would normally find and asked if I had ever thought about editing. It has since become a passion of mine. 


Super Bulky Winter Hat, crochet pattern by Kristine Mullen.
UC: Has tech editing influenced your design work at all? If so, how? 
KM: It has definitely helped me branch out beyond hats and baby blankets, but I don't think it has necessarily influenced my designs. It has definitely influenced my writing style though. Now I try really hard to write a pattern that can be read by any level crocheter so that even if the stitch work is difficult the pattern won't be hard to understand. 


Indigo Falls Infinity Scarf, crochet pattern by Kristine Mullen.
UC: What are your favorite types of crochet projects for relaxing? 
KM: I love working up infinity scarves and cowls.


Gray Skies Gradient Shawl, crochet pattern by Kristine Mullen, and winner of the Fan's Choice Award for Battle of the Stitches Round 8.
UC: What are your favorite types of crochet projects for challenging yourself? 
KM: That's a good question. I love to try experienced or challenging patterns, but I don't know that I have a specific project type. I think I lean more towards stitch combos and overall design. I guess if I had to pick a project type I would pick shawls or sweaters. 


Waves of Grayce Chevron Baby Blanket, crochet pattern by Kristine Mullen.
UC: What are your favorite types of crochet projects to give as gifts? 
KM: I love making baby blankets and scarves to give as gifts.


Awareness Ribbon Afghan Project, crochet pattern by Kristine Mullen.
UC: What are you working on in 2016? What's next for you? 
KM: I'm spending more time tech editing and I want to put myself out there and submit more designs for publication. I also want to help people advance their crocheting skills.


Thanks so much, Kristine, for sharing your love of crochet with us.

1 comment:

CGOA welcomes your comments! To help us avoid comment-spam, all comments are moderated. Damaging, hateful, profane, advertising, or solicitation comments will not be approved. If your comment is not approved, please feel free to reword it and post it again. For guild-related questions, please send an email to: cgoa @ crochet.org (to help us avoid spam, cut and paste address into your email program and remove spaces from "@").

 
Template Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)