Getting To Know You - Pattie Aaron

Friday, January 27, 2017

Welcome to "Getting To Know You" on the blog. This is an opportunity for our members to share a little bit about themselves, and for us to learn more about each other and continue the family feel after leaving the annual conference. Although we may crochet by ourselves in our own homes, we are not alone in our love of crochet, and we have more in common than we realize. By sharing our experiences and knowledge, we will all learn something new about each other and the art of crochet! This month, enjoy getting to know...

Pattie Aaron






Location: Chicago Northwest Suburbs


How many years crocheting and how did you learn to crochet?:
I learned to crochet from my grandmother as a child, but did not work on it much then. After my 20's, a group of my friends and I decided to take a class from our local school.  I found that I loved working with yarn, but feared color changes so I stuck to solids for years.  Luckily, my fellow chapter members opened my eyes and now I can do all sorts of cool things that I never knew before.







Do you crochet with your left hand or right hand and how do you hold your hook?

I’m a righty knife thrower!



What is your favorite crochet hook?

I am a Susan Bates lover with a wooden handle, but will try others.  I have started using ERGO hooks to help with fatigue and pain.


What is your favorite yarn?: 

Acrylics are my fave – WW= 4.  Vanna’s Choice all the way.



What is your favorite crochet stitch?:

The hdc is the best for what I like to do so it has less holes.


Do you prefer a written pattern, a chart, or both?:I prefer a written pattern with everything spelled out and then I refer to the diagram for confirmation.  I usually write out the repeats and started counting the stitches in total for that row so I do not miss a stitch.  Too many mistakes has lead me here.



What is your favorite item to make?: 

Lots and Lots of cowls.  They make great gifts and keep me 

warm the fall and winter. Tote bags and purse galore.








This Mystery Afghan was a blast to make with the Crochet Crowd!  Our study group participated in this challenge.



How long have you been a CGOA member, and what is a fond memory from a CGOA Conference if you’ve attended one? 
I have enjoyed networking at the annual conferences in which I have been to four.  I love meeting my teachers and designers and enjoy everything they have to offer.  I get to ask them in person to teach at our chapter workshops or our annual retreat weekend. 
Each conference is unique, but each year is even better since you get too caught up with friends you only get to see at conference.  The design competition was spectacular this year especially since I volunteered my time to watch over the items for one shift.  I was able to see the items close up and encourage people to vote for the favorite.  That was a treat.
I cannot wait to see everyone new and old in my home turf this summer at Chain Link.  I look forward to seeing which classes will be offered and who will be honored at the events.

Do you belong to a local CGOA chapter in your area? 
Several years ago I joined my local chapter called Northern Illinois Chapter after I met a member at a local JoAnn’s store.  She was there to promote the chapter while stitching at a table in the yarn department.  She was so friendly and welcoming, I went to my first meeting the following month.  Our group has over 40 active members that come to regular monthly meetings, but in total we have about 65.  Each month we have a business meeting to discuss upcoming activities and event, plus we have a demo class that one of the members teaches.  I have been honored to be the chapter President for the past year.  We learn a great deal from each other.  We also go around the room for show and tell to show off our current or finished projects and tell about things we read in blogs or on-line patterns we enjoyed using.  When I found out all the cool things that this chapter does every month and every year, I was hooked (pun was intended!).   I have met wonderful women (and one man) in our group that have taught me so much that has increased my crochet knowledge and interest in new things.  The chapter also has a weekly study group that one of our members organizes to assist those in need of help and work on small projects together.  So much inspiration!


Any crochet tips that you would like to share?
Ask questions is my tip.  The best way to learn something or find information is by asking those in your group.





Thank you for sharing with us Pattie, it's been fun "getting to know you"!
Become a CGOA member today, click HERE to join.
Have a great day!
Carolyn

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Brought to you by blogger contributor:
Carolyn Calderon
If you would like to be a featured member, please contact her HERE.





No comments:

Post a Comment

CGOA welcomes your comments! To help us avoid comment-spam, all comments are moderated. Damaging, hateful, profane, advertising, or solicitation comments will not be approved. If your comment is not approved, please feel free to reword it and post it again. For guild-related questions, please send an email to: cgoa @ crochet.org (to help us avoid spam, cut and paste address into your email program and remove spaces from "@").

 
Template Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)