CGOA Member Spotlight: Tamara Kelly

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

I'm Marie from Underground Crafter and this is the ninth post in my monthly series highlighting a member of the Crochet Guild of America with an interview.

Tamara Kelly.
This month's interview is with Tamara Kelly from Moogly. Tamara is a crochet designer, blogger, teacher, and author. She's also a mom of three. She lives in Iowa with her husband and children. Tamara describes herself as "an unrepentant yarn addict," but then again, aren't we all? You can find Tamara on Moogly, or follow her on Facebook, InstagramPinterest, RavelryTwitter, and YouTube. Tamara is a Craftsy instructor, and you can get 50% off any of her classes using this link.

All images are used with permission and are © Tamara Kelly/Moogly.

Amelia Shawl, free crochet pattern by Tamara Kelly/Moogly.

Underground Crafter (UC): How did you first get started crocheting?
Tamara: I had been wanting to learn how to crochet for years (I've always been crafty!), but this was back before YouTube. So I had to meet someone who knew how first! That turned out to be my sister-in-law! She taught me how to single crochet, and I was off and running from there!

Ups and Downs Slouchy Beanie in 3 sizes, free crochet pattern by Tamara Kelly/Moogly.

UC: When did you start designing?
Tamara: I always sort of goofed around making my own stuff, but I didn't try actually writing anything down for several years. Even then it was a slow start - a dishcloth in 2008 was all I did until things really started to take off in 2011, and it became my full time job!

Mesmerizing Mini Bag, free crochet pattern by Tamara Kelly/Moogly.

UC: How long have you been a member of the CGOA? What’s your favorite thing about being a member?
Tamara: I've been a member for about 2 or 3 years now - the time has flown by! My favorite thing is connecting with other designers, and going to the CGOA Conference! And I love doing my part to help spread the love of crochet!

Amara Shawl, free crochet pattern by Tamara Kelly/Moogly.

UC: You've gone to several CGOA Conferences. What are your favorite things about attending.
Tamara: Oh gosh, where to start? I love meeting Moogly readers, taking classes to expand my skills, and meeting people who enjoy nerding out about crochet as much as I do!

Capulin Cross Body Bag, free crochet pattern by Tamara Kelly/Moogly.

UC: You also teach crochet. Does your teaching influence your designing?
Tamara: Yes! Most of my teaching is done online - through Craftsy classes or YouTube videos. I learn a lot while teaching - even when it's just me and camera - and it influences how I word my patterns, and what techniques I include. 

Modern Rose Afghan, free crochet pattern by Tamara Kelly/Moogly.

UC: What are your favorite types of crochet projects for relaxing? 
Tamara: Blankets! Once I've got that repeat down, it's all sit back and relax!

Eloise Girls Sweater in 3 sizes, free crochet pattern by Tamara Kelly/Moogly. You can get the Eloise Baby Sweater in 5 sizes here

UC: What are your favorite types of crochet projects for challenging yourself? 
Tamara: Sweaters! So. much. math. 

Shannon Infinity Scarf, free crochet pattern by Tamara Kelly/Moogly.

UC: What are your favorite types of crochet projects to give as gifts? 
Tamara: Tote bags and infinity scarves - they are guaranteed to fit!

Snow Drops Reversible Cowl, free crochet pattern by Tamara Kelly/Moogly.

UC: What are you working on in 2016? What's next for you?
Tamara: This year my husband is going to be joining me to work on Moogly full time as well! We're hoping that this will only increase the quality level, and free me up to do some more projects and expand even more. Once we get the new office remodel in the basement done that is... I'll also have a book coming out this year - assuming all goes according to plan!

Thanks for sharing your love of crochet with us, Tamara!


No comments:

Post a Comment

CGOA welcomes your comments! To help us avoid comment-spam, all comments are moderated. Damaging, hateful, profane, advertising, or solicitation comments will not be approved. If your comment is not approved, please feel free to reword it and post it again. For guild-related questions, please send an email to: cgoa @ crochet.org (to help us avoid spam, cut and paste address into your email program and remove spaces from "@").

 
Template Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)