CGOA Member Spotlight: Amy Ramnarine

Monday, August 22, 2016

I'm Marie Segares from Underground Crafter and this is the eighth post in my monthly series highlighting a CGOA member with an interview.

Amy Ramnarine.
This month's interview is with Amy Ramnarine from The Stitchin' Mommy. Amy is a freelance crochet designer and blogger. Amy has been crocheting for seven years and she is also a knitter (on and off). Amy has been a professional crochet designer for the past four years and also shares recipes and craft projects on her blog. Prior to her design career, she worked as an Analyst at Goldman Sachs for five years and was a preschool teacher for two years. She's now a work-at-home-mom of two living in New York. You can find Amy at The Stitchin' Mommy, or follow her on Etsy, Facebook, G+, Instagram, Pinterest, Ravelry, and Twitter

All images are used with permission and are © Amy Ramnarine/The Stitchin' Mommy.

Apple of My Eye Apple Cozy, free crochet pattern by The Stitchin' Mommy.
Underground Crafter (UC): How did you first get started crocheting? 
Amy: A friend of mine tried to teach me how to crochet about 8 years ago. I didn't really catch on but I was determined to learn since I was between jobs and needed a hobby. I started watching YouTube videos and borrowed crochet books from the library. I started teaching myself how to crochet and it eventually brought me to where I am now.

Kiss Me at Midnight Quick Cowl, free crochet pattern by The Stitchin' Mommy.
UC: When did you start designing? 
Amy: I started designing about 4 years ago. I had been crocheting for a few years already and I was ready to express myself through crochet with my own designs. 

Sunshine and Hugs Beanie, free crochet pattern by The Stitchin' Mommy.
UC: How long have you been a member of the CGOA? What’s your favorite thing about being a member? 
Amy: I have been a member of the CGOA for two years now. I love that the CGOA allows crocheters to connect with one another through the CGOA website and in person through local chapter meetings and the CGOA conference. I also love that the CGOA provides all of it's members with opportunities to learn and grow with the help of reading materials, classes, and other programs.

Mini Clutch Purse, free crochet pattern by The Stitchin' Mommy.

UC: You used to be a preschool teacher. Has your background in teaching had an impact on your designing and blogging? 
Amy: I think the organization skills that I picked up when I was teaching have helped to keep me organized during my blogging career. I have definitely utilized my task management and scheduling skills when it comes to working with sponsors, yarn companies, and other bloggers. Now if I could only utilize the skills to help me clean up my craft room!

Stashbuster Granny Stripe Afghan, free crochet pattern by The Stitchin' Mommy.
UC: What are your favorite types of crochet projects for relaxing? 
Amy: I like to work on blankets that have a very easy stitch pattern so that I don't even have to look down. I can just continually crochet without thinking. My favorite easy one to work on is my Stashbuster Granny Stripe Afghan.

Rising Sun Afghan Square, free crochet pattern by The Stitchin' Mommy.
UC: What are your favorite types of crochet projects for challenging yourself? 
Amy: Anything related to Tunisian crochet. I am still a novice with Tunisian but I do enjoy a good challenge. 

Little Bubbles Dishcloth, free crochet pattern by The Stitchin' Mommy.

UC: What are your favorite types of crochet projects for warm weather? 
Amy: I don't really like to sweat it out in the summer under a huge wool blanket so, tote bags and anything that I can use around the house like baskets, coasters, and dishcloths.

Shell Stitch Baby Blanket, free crochet pattern by The Stitchin' Mommy.

UC: What are your favorite types of crochet projects to give as gifts? 
Amy: Baby blankets. They are near and dear to my heart. I make a baby blanket for all of my friends and family members when they are expecting. It's been a kind of tradition of mine that I plan to keep going for as long as I can. This was the first one that I designed.

Fluffy Clusters Infinity Scarf, free crochet pattern by The Stitchin' Mommy.
UC: What are you working on in 2016? What's next for you? 
Amy: I am going to continue to help myself grow by learning new techniques and skills. I am also hoping to continue growing my blog. I want to design more garments. I have been afraid to tackle them for a while but am starting to feel a little more confident. I have a few other amazing projects coming up that aren't finalized yet but I will share them on my social media sites when things are official :).

Thanks for sharing your love of crochet with us, Amy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CGOA welcomes your comments! To help us avoid comment-spam, all comments are moderated. Damaging, hateful, profane, advertising, or solicitation comments will not be approved. If your comment is not approved, please feel free to reword it and post it again. For guild-related questions, please send an email to: cgoa @ crochet.org (to help us avoid spam, cut and paste address into your email program and remove spaces from "@").

 
Template Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)