Book Review: Reversible Baby Afghans

Saturday, May 18, 2013



Title: Reversible Baby Afghans
Author: Barbara Shaffer

Book Review by Jennifer J. Cirka (www.jaybirddesigns.com)

When I saw the stunning blanket design on the cover of Barbara Shaffer's book, Reversible Baby Afghans, I immediately fell in love and knew I had to review this book. The impressive ripple design with the bold color accent, the fantastic textured stitches, and splendid photography shown on the cover intrigued me to see what more Ms. Shaffer had to offer. I wasn't disappointed.

Her book features 5 beautiful designs perfect for baby, or anyone else for that matter! I love how she incorporates post stitches to create surprising details, and how those details translate to the opposite side of the blanket. Sometimes it was hard for me to tell which side I liked better. All of the patterns in the book are of intermediate skill level and use light weight yarns. The directions are clearly written and I enjoyed the beautiful photography. In the back of the book you will find the general instructions along with some definitions.

Last night, my husband conveniently reminded me that a co-worker is soon to have a baby. So what did this crocheter do? Of course I grabbed some baby pink yarn and a hook and got right to work on the Building Blocks design featured in Barbara's book. I really am happy with how it is turning out. The pattern is not difficult, but looks stunning. It is easy to read and follow. I can't wait to see how the finished project turns out.



If you are looking for a unique blanket to make that will surely become a family heirloom, be sure to check out the designs in Reversible Baby Afghans by Barbara Shaffer. It will probably be my go-to baby blanket book for a while because I have absolutely fallen in love with the designs and can't wait to make each and every one of them!

(Leisure Arts, 2012, 146 Pages, $9.95, ISBN-13: 978-1-60900-145-2)

Full disclosure: A free review copy of  Reversible Baby Afghans was provided by Leisure Arts. Although I accept free products for review, I do not accept additional compensation, nor do I guarantee a positive review.  My reviews are based entirely on my honest opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CGOA welcomes your comments! To help us avoid comment-spam, all comments are moderated. Damaging, hateful, profane, advertising, or solicitation comments will not be approved. If your comment is not approved, please feel free to reword it and post it again. For guild-related questions, please send an email to: cgoa @ crochet.org (to help us avoid spam, cut and paste address into your email program and remove spaces from "@").

 
Template Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)