Book Review: 101 Crochet Tips (Kindle Edition)

Wednesday, November 14, 2012




Title: 101 Crochet Tips (Kindle Edition)
Author: Phyllis Serbes

Book Review by Jennifer J. Cirka (www.jaybirddesigns.com)



Now who doesn't love crochet tip books? I know I do! And is it possible to have too many? Definitely not in my house! One of the newest tip books I've come across lately is 101 Crochet Tips by Phyllis Serbes. Some of you may know her from her company, Many Creative Gifts or even as the Crochet Guru over at Life Tips. I recently had the pleasure to review this all-inclusive book and can't wait to tell you more about it.

The first thing you will notice is that this is no ordinary book, it's an e-book, and it is made especially for all Kindle users. But don't fret if you do not own a Kindle. Amazon offers a free reading application that you can download for use on your computer, making it possible to read Kindle books directly on your computer. That's what I did, and boy, was it worth it! I will admit, that it made me wish I had an e-reader. I can envision how nice it would be to throw this little item into my crochet tote along with my current project. It would be right there, at the perfect time, exactly when I need it. Plus all the tips are short and sweet. Such an easy read, especially when waiting in a doctor's office or waiting in line somewhere. 

This book features 48 pages of crochet goodies. It is broken down into eleven chapters that are sure to please. You'll find tips about the health benefits of crochet (did you know you can burn up to 400 calories crocheting for an afternoon?) to creative finishing techniques. (I never thought of putting my amigurumi stuffing into nylon hosiery before putting it into the crocheted item to keep the stuffing from popping out!) Other chapters include Crochet Resources, The Language of Crochet, and even a section on Good Projects for Beginners.

Although the book seems to focused towards a beginner crocheter, I think it would be a great addition to any crocheters library and I am in love with the fact that it is so conveniently found on your e-reader. I can only imagine how nice it would be to have it at hand any time you need it. Plus, I believe you can also read a lot of crochet patterns, books, and magazines on your e-reader, so you can easily keep this publication right next to your current pattern and WIP. Now, if only I could get my hands on a Kindle! Oh, Santa...I've been a very good little crocheter this year!

(Phyllis Serbes/Many Creative Gifts, 2011, 48 pages, $9.95, ASIN B005NTZDBE)

Full disclosure: A free review copy of 101 Crochet Tips was provided by Phyllis Serbes. Although I accept free products for review, I do not accept additional compensation, nor do I guarantee a positive review.  My reviews are based entirely on my honest opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CGOA welcomes your comments! To help us avoid comment-spam, all comments are moderated. Damaging, hateful, profane, advertising, or solicitation comments will not be approved. If your comment is not approved, please feel free to reword it and post it again. For guild-related questions, please send an email to: cgoa @ crochet.org (to help us avoid spam, cut and paste address into your email program and remove spaces from "@").

 
Template Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)