Be a part of this singular event celebrating the beauty and artistry of crochet, the only competition of its kind. Thanks to a bevy of magnificent sponsors we have thousands of dollars in cash prizes to award to our winning guild members for the best of the best in crochet design. With a huge grand prize plus first, second and third place prizes of $300, $200 and $100 respectively in each of seven judging categories plus special prizes, this promises to be the most rewarding event ever.
Here are the design categories for 2011 and their sponsors as of this writing:
1. Fanciful Fashion (sponsored by Tulip Co, makers of exceptional tools including Etimo cushion grip crochet hooks and Carry T)
Fancy adult garments and accessories, including gowns, dresses and evening wear.
2. Fashion (sponsored by Tahki Stacy Charles, bringing you fine yarn lines Tahki, S Charles, Filatura Di Crosa and Loop-d-Loop)
Garments for women or men, including sweaters, tops, jackets and skirts.
3. Accessories (sponsored by WEBS, America’s Yarn Store)
Wearables including shawls, socks, scarves, hats, bags, belts and jewelry.
4. Small Wonders (sponsored by Boye and the Crochet Dude brand of crochet tools and accessories)
Anything small scale, including baby items, toys, amigurimi and small décor items.
5. Afghans (sponsored by Caron International and BuyCaron.com)
Any and all afghans, throws, blankets and bed or sofa covers.
6. Thread Crochet (sponsored by FaveCrafts/Prime Publishing, offering diverse crochet e-newsletters, e-books and patterns at FaveCrafts.com)
Anything made with crochet thread, including doilies, décor and accessories.
7. Artistic Expressions (sponsored by Leisure Arts, bring you the art of everyday living)
Artistic rather than functional in nature, including free-form and mixed media pieces, hangings, sculpture and wearable art.
Grand Prize, sponsored in part by Interweave Press
$100 Special Technique Award from DesigningVashti for outstanding use of alternate crochet techniques and construction including Tunisian, Broomstick and Hairpin
$100 Peoples’ Choice Award from the Crochet Liberation Front to be chosen on site by attendee voting
We are thrilled to welcome this year’s panel of judges: Marcy Smith, editor of Interweave Crochet magazine; Kathleen Sams, ambassador for Coats & Clark; and Drew Emborsky, the Crochet Dude. Judging will take place on location at the CGOA Conference in Greensboro, North Carolina, 21 September 2011 and winners will be announced during the Awards Ceremony on 22 September 2011. You do not have to be present to enter or to win but you will want to be there to marvel at the awesome display of entries and unveiling of the winning designs.
Please use the links provided at www.crochet.org to download the complete Design Competition Information package and access the electronic entry form. Deadline for entries to be shipped to the receiving location is 31 August, 2011. Please do not submit a form until you ship your entry in August.
Hope to see you there!
Submitted by Doris Chan, Chairman, CGOA 2011 Design Competition Committee
Design Competition Info (pdf file)
11 hours ago