Getting To Know You - Michelle Young

Friday, June 16, 2017

Welcome to "Getting To Know You" on the blog. This is an opportunity for our members to share a little bit about themselves, and for us to learn more about each other and continue the family feel after leaving the annual conference. Although we may crochet by ourselves in our own homes, we are not alone in our love of crochet, and we have more in common than we realize. By sharing our experiences and knowledge, we will all learn something new about each other and the art of crochet! This month, enjoy getting to know...


Michelle Young




Location:  Orange, California

How many years crocheting and/or how did you learn to crochet?
I learned to crochet at an after-school program in second grade. 

Do you crochet with your left hand or right hand and how do you hold your hook? 
I crochet with my right hand.  My hold is not really a pencil or a knife hold.  In the Spring 2014 issue of Interweave Crochet, there was an article about how to hold a crochet hook.  The closest to mine is the "overhand," but my hand faces down more.  And while most people have their hook pointing up while they crochet, mine faces down.

What is your favorite crochet hook? 
I love my Clover Amour hooks!

What is your favorite yarn? 
That is such a hard question!  I love yarn in general.  (My license plate is YARNY and I have yarn tattooed on my left arm…)  There is no "wrong" yarn.  I have no problem buying the cheapest acrylic or the fanciest yarn at my LYS.  It just depends on what I'm making. 



What is your favorite crochet stitch?
The stitch I use most is a modified half-double crochet.  (I basically made it up; I did half-double wrong for a wrong time.  I decided I liked it more than the real one.)

Do you prefer a written pattern, a chart, or both?
I love charts!  But I've had a couple patterns where the charts weren't great.  So I like written directions as back-up.

What is your favorite item to make? 
I go through phases.  I make one of whatever is in my brain and then I have to keep making it in different colors until I get the pattern just right.  Or until I get sick of it.  Whichever comes first.

Right now, I'm making a lot of amigurumi.  But I just got some sock yarn on vacation so I'll be making some shawls soon. 






Who do you crochet for? 
I mostly crochet for friends and family. 

Have you ever participated in a yarn bombing? 
Yes!  I've yarn bombed for holidays or to spruce up "ugly" areas around the neighborhood.  I've also yarn bombed a sign post for a friend’s shop and participated in yarn bombing the Orange County Fair a few years ago.





How long have you been a CGOA member, and what is a fond memory from a CGOA Conference if you’ve attended one? 
I've been a CGOA member since 2013.  I attended the conference in 2015 in San Diego.  It was absolutely wonderful to spend time with so many people who love the same things that I do.

Do you belong to a local CGOA chapter in your area? 
I founded OCCrochet.  We meet on the first Monday of every month.  We’re a small, but dedicated, group.  We welcome anyone who loves crocheting to join us – the more, the merrier.  We share projects, help each other with our crochet dilemmas, and hold technique workshops. 

What are your crochet goals for the future? 
It's not a lofty goal.  But my goal is to use up more of the yarn that I have!  I just have SO much!



Any crochet tips that you would like to share?
Don't get stressed about what other people are making, how they think you should crochet, or what they think you should crochet.  It's supposed to be fun.  It's literally not brain surgery.  No one's going to die if you do it "wrong."



Do you have any other favorite past times, interests, sports, or crafts you enjoy doing?
I do or have tried just about every craft.  My two main craft-related hobbies are crochet and sewing.
I also love going to the gym.  I'm training for a Spartan race at the end of the year.  I kind of hate running, but I do it because it's good for me and it's necessary for the Spartan. 

Anything you would like to share, not covered above?  
I have worked at the Orange County Rescue Mission's House of Hope for the past 22 years working with formerly homeless women and children.
I go on a couple road trips a year to visit my daughter, son-in-law, and grandson.



Thank you for sharing with us Michelle, it's been fun "getting to know you"!

Become a CGOA member today, click HERE to join.

Stay connected with Michelle and her CGOA Chapter on Facebook:

Have a great day!
Carolyn
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Brought to you by blogger contributor:
Carolyn Calderon
If you would like to be a featured member, please contact her HERE.










No comments:

Post a Comment

CGOA welcomes your comments! To help us avoid comment-spam, all comments are moderated. Damaging, hateful, profane, advertising, or solicitation comments will not be approved. If your comment is not approved, please feel free to reword it and post it again. For guild-related questions, please send an email to: cgoanow @ crochet.org (to help us avoid spam, cut and paste address into your email program and remove spaces from "@").

 
Template Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)