CGOA Member Spotlight: Jess Mason

Monday, October 24, 2016

I'm Marie from Underground Crafter and this is my tenth post in a series where I spotlight a Crochet Guild of America member with an interview. 

Jess Mason.
This month's interview features Jess Mason from Screen to Stitch, a crochet designer and fiber artist community manager. Jess learned to crochet as a teen from her grandmother and has been designing patterns for the past several years. You can find Jess on Screen to Stitch. She is also on Ravelry and members of her Facebook group get access to free patterns a week early.

All images are used with permission and are © Jess Mason/Screen to Stitch.

Yarn Bombed Door Knob, free crochet pattern by Screen to Stitch.

Underground Crafter (UC): How did you first get started crocheting?
Jess: I started crocheting at about 15 when my grandma taught me to chain. It was all I could do when I started, so I think I chained an entire skein of yarn to practice! Then my grandma taught me to single and double crochet. From there, I hopped on YouTube and the rest is history!

Batik Zipper Pouch, premium crochet pattern by Screen to Stitch.
UC: When did you start designing?
Jess: I started designing in 2013. I didn’t really think much would come of it, I just wanted to have a bit of fun!

UC: How long have you been a member of the CGOA? What’s your favorite thing about being a member?
Jess: I’ve been a member for two years. I love connecting with other members. I don’t have many friends that crochet, so being able to connect and chat with other crocheters is just a blast!

Zen Blanket, free crochet pattern by Screen to Stitch.

UC: What are your favorite types of crochet projects for relaxing?
Jess: Scrap blankets! Whenever I really want to zone out and relax, I work on simple, mindless projects like the Zen Blanket.

Cutie Acorns in 3 Sizes, premium crochet pattern by Screen to Stitch.
UC: What are your favorite types of crochet projects for challenging yourself?
Jess: Amigurumi…I love learning new construction techniques and different ways to make shapes with crochet.

UC: What are your favorite types of crochet projects to give as gifts?
Jess: Hats and scarves, because there are so many different designs out there so there’s something for everyone.

Scrappy Snake, crochet pattern by Screen to Stitch in October, 2016 issue of Happily Hooked.

UC: What are your favorite types of crochet projects for colder weather?
Jess: Big, squishy cowls! I especially like this one from Purl Soho

Uni-CORN, free crochet pattern by Screen to Stitch.

UC: What are you working on in 2016? What's next for you?
Jess: 2016 is the year of connection! I’m building an awesome and fun Facebook community and that’s where I’m spending a lot of my time nowadays! I just love seeing people’s projects, answering questions and connecting with my fans! 

What’s next?! More patterns, more fun, more connection! ;) If you want to get in on some of that, join the place where it all goes down, my email list.

Thanks for sharing your love of crochet with us, Jess!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CGOA welcomes your comments! To help us avoid comment-spam, all comments are moderated. Damaging, hateful, profane, advertising, or solicitation comments will not be approved. If your comment is not approved, please feel free to reword it and post it again. For guild-related questions, please send an email to: cgoa @ crochet.org (to help us avoid spam, cut and paste address into your email program and remove spaces from "@").

 
Template Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)